Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Sock Shock

Since today showed the tiniest hint of spring, some friends and I decided to ring in our lunch breaks on the deck of a popular tex mex eatery in Nashville.

In the midst of gabbing and soaking up the sunshine, a guy friend of mine casually mentioned that he needed to start going to the tanning bed to get a “base tan” before summer officially starts.

I almost choked on my queso-covered chip.

Firstly, because this carefree guy is the last person on earth I’d imagine gracing the threshold of a tanning salon. Secondly, because…I don’t know…he has a penis?

Because I’m naturally curious and don’t often think before I speak, I blurted out, “When you go, do you cover up your junk?” (Eloquence personified.)

He informed me that after one bad burning experience, he now uses a SOCK.

I know I’m being sexist to think it’s strange/creepy for men to lay in tanning beds, but the mental image of a man lying bathed in blue light, wearing tiny baby goggles, rocking a 1990s Red Hot Chili Peppers cock sock makes me giggly…and a little ill.

Unavoidably from now on, whenever I see overly tan guys at the gym, I'll be suspicious as to exactly WHERE their socks have been...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

there are worse things men do with their socks... especially teenagers.

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The initial tanning session each year requires that certain parts be covered. A sock... no. I'll use the provided towel. However, if you're not gonna be an idiot and be in there for 20 minutes, there's no need for that type of protection.

So.. am I hearing you'd rather see milky, pale complexions on the men around you? I'll opt for a little color any day.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Milky pale, no.

"I look like I just spent two months in Cabo and it's only January", definitely no.

Male tanning has a VERY fine line...

4:40 PM  
Blogger londongirl said...

ewwwwwwww.

now THAT is a nasty thought.

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home