Monday, October 10, 2005

I'd Rather Nurse a Hangover

Jennie and I found out yesterday that one of our best friends from high school (who we've sadly lost touch with) had a baby. It's strange that we've just found out after the fact...but apparently no one (including her mom) knew she was pregnant. She surprised everyone when she went into labor. Now HOW can you be 9 months pregnant and not look it? I just can't see that that's possible. (There most have been some serious cases of denial going on.)

I can't imagine having a baby right now. First of all, at 22 I feel way too young to even think about being a mother. I'm enjoying being young and carefree. I love meeting people out for dinner, drinks, and dancing. But not if I had to find a babysitter first. Ughhh.

Don't get me wrong...I definitely want to have kids some day. Babysitting is one of my favorite things. I love to play dress-up, make up games, read stories, color, make messy kid food, etc. But at the end of the day, I also like to party like a rockstar and then sleep till noon. You just can't have it both ways.

It amazes me the number of young girls I see drooling over babies and wishing they already had one. Maybe they don't realize how huge of a sacrifice it really is. Once a baby comes along, your entire life shifts and will never be the same again. You have to be ready to give up a significant part of yourself and your life.

I'm sure that our friend's baby wasn't exactly planned, but he's here all the same. I just pray that she's coping okay.

So, to Baby Jack: welcome to the world! Please be easy on your mom...she's still very new at this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home