Thursday, November 02, 2006

Life Lesson

As most people who know me know, I am a complete sucker for a dare and rarely get embarrassed. Which always makes for an entertaining combination to those around me.

Sunday morning, in direct response to our costume party festivities, several friends and I decided we had to have some Arby's (for obvious reasons). Stacy dared me to actually wear the amazing "I'm Thinking Arby's" headgear I'd acquired at the Big Brothers Big Sisters picnic into the restaurant. And the gauntlet was officially thrown down.
The minute I walked in, every employee's face lit up and they all started laughing. To the point where I worried that a rather large black lady was going to have to be resuscitated.
Needless to say, I was a hit and took requested pictures with some of the employees.
Every single person in that restaurant stopped to talk to me, give me high fives and chuckle over my stupid headband. Several people actually told me that I'd made their entire week.
I even got stopped by people waiting in the drive-thru line on our way back to our car. One guy laughed so hard he had to wait to catch his breath before he could pull up to the window. But when he did, he gave me a two-thumbs-up.

Not only did this random little dare make people smile, it helped solidify in mind the fact that people are inherently warm and friendly. A goofy foam hat alone managed to break down barriers and helped us see each other as kindred human beings, not just faceless customers in a crowd. I know I'm a bit of a goober, but as we belly laughed, I felt a true kinship with every person in that restaurant.

Several days later, a friend and I ran an errand on our lunch break and she asked if I'd drive her through Arby's. Thinking nothing of it, she ordered and I pulled around to the window. The man standing there gave me a puzzled look and then exclaimed, "Hey! Aren't you the girl with the great hat?!" Before I knew it, four or five employees were crowding the window to say hello. They asked if I would bring them copies of the pictures so they could post them in their breakroom...and I agreed. And I have every intention of bringing individual copies to Decarlos, Catherine and Willie when I do.

As we pulled away, I couldn't help but grin. Several days ago, I probably wouldn't have looked twice at the elderly man who handed me food from the drive-thru. But a stupid dare made me some unexpected new friends.

If we could all manage to let loose, laugh and see each other for who we truly are, I think this world would be a much better place. It almost makes me want to wear "conversation-starters" on a daily basis.

Well, almost.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! Where'd you get the hat?

8:35 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Man, I'm SO jealous I didn't think of that. That's really friggin cool!

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home