Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Oh, Nashville...

As embarrassing as this is to admit, I went to the Faith Hill & Tim McGraw concert Saturday night. (Don't judge. A friend had a free ticket and I figured it might be hugely entertaining...which it was.)

The people-watching atmosphere was almost too much to handle...I could barely process all the snarky comments running through my head. As soon as I saw the middle aged couple wearing homemade "Real Life Tim & Faith" t-shirts, I'd spot a fanny-pack-wearing, mullet-sporting man in the distance.

It was astounding.

Due solely to the fact I had on neither a) cowboy boots or b) a black concert tee, I was quite a minority in the concert-goer population. The plethora of cowboy boots in attendance had been paired with everything from denim halter tops to Carhartt overalls (the black concert tees on the other hand, had mainly been paired with DD breasts and/or beer guts.)

After seemingly hours spent pushing through hordes of near hysterical, redneck fans, we finally found our seats and settled in to wait for the show to begin.

Halfway through typing a text message, I noticed the group of young women sitting directly in front of us. And about dropped my cell phone.

Each and every one of them had gotten prom updos (circa 1997) for the occasion.

NO. FREAKING. LIE.

I burst out laughing. I couldn't help it. I so badly wanted to tap one on the shoulder and inquire about their fancy dos, but didn't think I could make it through with a straight face. So I just sat, quietly gasping for air behind them.

I'd finally calmed myself enough by the time the concert started to reasonably enjoy the show. Which was admittedly quite good. They've both got great voices and are natural performers. And look damn cute together while doing it (singing, that is).

But despite Faith & Tim's prowess on stage, I couldn't help but be distracted by the very drunk women three rows down. They were excited...and bound and determined to prove they knew EVERY word to EVERY song performed. And Lawd, when the first few bars of "Don't Take the Girl" started up, you'd think the rapture was upon us.

I wish I had a video...but one that also included a shot of one of the very same ladies puking out of a Yukon parked on Broadway several hours later. I think it'd make for quite the inspiring YouTube montage.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SHITE! Why, OH WHY, you don't get paid to write concert reviews is BEYOND me!!!

And I would have gladly paid admission to the visual audience spectacle you described - with Tim and Faith being a less than thrilling side show.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

I hope you made it painfully obvious that you knew every word to Pete Doherty's song "Puking From A Moving Vehicle".

Excellent review. The people-watching would have been my main reason for going, too. Although I do have a soft spot for "Just To See You Smile", which I do, in fact, know every word to. ;)

2:35 PM  
Blogger Scooby said...

Oh, I can totally relate. But mine was Garth Brooks in Biloxi. If it's possible, that show was probably even more redneck than Tim and Faith.

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home