Monday, July 10, 2006

Sincerest of Apologies

Let me just begin by saying that I sincerely have nothing against Liz Phair glasses-wearing girls. I actually own a pair of said glasses myself. I'm just embarrassed to be seen in them outside the house (or Kroger) because I feel like my face looks monstrously fat. I really have a deep-seeded jealousy for the hip girls (with narrow faces) who rock them proudly.

Sorry to have riled everyone up with my snarkiness. :)

New topic: After an extensive month-long background check process, I've been cleared and finally been assigned a Little Sister...and am THRILLED.

I recently decided that I wanted to do something more with my life than just go to work and hang out with friends. Due to the fact that I absolutely love kids, I decided that getting involved in the Big Brothers Big Sisters program would be the perfect way to give back.

I got the call from the social worker today that they've found my pint-sized "match". Her name is Stella May (freaking cute) and she just turned nine. In her own words, she's "dying to eat buttered popcorn at the movies with me and braid my hair".

I've already compiled a list of fun activities we can do together. Everything from trips to the zoo to skating to movie nights. Maybe even some Dollywood. By the sound of things, she probably has her own personal "to-do" list as well...which means we'll be pretty busy chicas for the next year (so you best get plugged into our social calendars early.)

It's going to be incredible.

3 Comments:

Blogger Newscoma said...

I have served as a mentor before (not a Big Sister but same concept)
It's a wonderful experience that I learned more from than my pseudo-little sister.)

8:16 PM  
Blogger Kathy T. said...

Well my glasses are ugly - not cool at all. So I knew you weren't talking about me! :) Good for you with the little sister thing!

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could teach her how to skin a snake!

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home