Thursday, November 09, 2006

You Give Love a Bad Name

After standing in line for an hour and a half last Thursday to express my opinion through the polls, I feel a mite let down. For several reasons, but the main being Amendment #1.

I know gay marriage is a controversial topic. I know that people's opinions on it can run the gamut. And everyone is indeed entitled to their own.

But with that being said, the passing of this amendment (that marriage is only constituted as legal between a man and a woman) makes me incensed. Firstly, gay marriage is such a deeply moral and personal issue that it doesn't belong anywhere in the political arena. It's not something that can just be decided by a vote and then forgotten. Secondly, it's completely discriminatory. I am firmly in the camp that gay people don't choose to be gay, they just are. And have every right to be treated as equals in this country despite their sexual preferences. It's ludicrous to hate someone solely on who they love.

And please don't give me the "marriage is sacred" bullshit. Over the last 40 odd years, heterosexuals have been treating marriage as anything but sacred. Answer me this: if Britney Spears has already had two divorces by the tender age of 25, why can't the 25-year relationship of my mom's friends, Jeffrey and Mike, be legalized?

Makes me madder than a Baptist in a brothel.

I only hope that my children's generation will be much less bigoted than my own. But I'm climbing off my soapbox now...

Last night, in an effort to relieve my bad post-election mood, Stacy and I grabbed a bottle of wine and finally saw Borat.

While waiting for the movie to begin, I began digging in my purse for my cell phone. I felt someone watching me, and when I looked up, I was staring straight into the face of Jon Bon Jovi. Who was closely followed by Richie Sambora. They smiled and slid into my row.

I froze in disbelief. Because these weren't your run-of-the-mill Nashville stars. They were STAR stars. Legends, if you will.

The movie started and far exceeded my expectations. But I didn't like it near as much as JBJ did. There were parts where he'd literally be bent over, cackling like a banshee. Which caused me to laugh even harder.

When the movie ended, we were all standing in the aisle, waiting for the line to move. I got a little brave (mostly due to the wine) and said, "After you, Mr. Bon Jovi." And immediately felt like a goober. But he just nodded and grinned.

So, I've officially watched a movie with half of the band Bon Jovi. I'll apologize in advance to all my friends who'll be forced to hear this amazing story retold again and again. At least you'll know what my (hopefully bigot-free) grandkids will someday feel like.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As the credits rolled, I'd have started singing "Whooooaaaaa...we're halfway there...who-aaaaah...livin' on a prayer...."

That is really cool. You saw Borat with Jon and Richie.

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home