Friday, December 29, 2006

Hold Onto Your Panties Nashville...

It's finally happened. I got a banjo for Christmas...and am completely in love with it.
I'd mentioned to my dad that it was on my life list to eventually learn one day and he took it upon himself to speed up the process. (I'm pretty sure I squealed in giddy delight when he produced it from the bed of his truck.)

Last night, I tried out the instructional DVDs that came with it. Let's just say that this is going to be some serious hard work. Mainly because I was cussing within the first 15 minutes. And my fingers definitely cramped up.

Luckily, I'm all set to take lessons from a local banjo prodigy. Which means I'll (hopefully) be able to bang out "Rocky Top" in no time.

The one thing I lack is a suitable name for my new instrument. It needs to be both 1) feminine and 2) hickish. So far, I've thought of Tallulah, Annabelle and Faylene. But none of those seem quite right.

So I'm opening the floor for suggestions. If your entry is the one that I choose, I'll dedicate my first album to you. Swear.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lynnster said...

Hmmm, well, you could go for a real biggie, like Maybelle... Fannie, Eula, Beulah, Ethel, and Gladys all come to mind as well.

Good luck with the learning!

3:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a fool for alliteration, so I would go with something with a "B." Lynnster's Beulah suggestion would work for me, or Bernice, Bernelle, and so on. Or there's always the endless combining of shorter names: Betty Sue, Barbara Jo, etc. Hey! Betty Jo the Banjo!

Or something like that.

Congrats on your stringy new friend!

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Female and hickish?

Tammy is thy name.

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dolly, in honor of the world's favorite big breasted country and bluegrass queen that also has a theme park named for her.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

There's a song called "Molly and Tenbrooks" that's considered by some the first song recorded bluegrass style. Thus, I give you Molly. Remember, you can pick your friends, you can pick your banjo, but you can't pick your friend's banjo. Have fun with it!

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home