Monday, December 18, 2006

Recap

This weekend was...interesting (but fabulous). I don't think "random" even begins to describe it...

Friday evening, Stacy and I found ourselves trolling the city for tacky Christmas sweaters. Goodwill had unfortunately been picked over, but we struck gold at Burlington Coat Factory. (Can you say 3-D padded Christmas bears with sequined scarves?)

For some reason, the checkouts were swamped and we were forced to wait 15 minutes in line by a display of men's thongs...and shook with silent laughter as we saw selections being made by 1) a 300 pound man and 2) a Mennonite-looking grandmother.

Several hours later, we showed up at the party fully bedecked in our holiday tackiness, gorged on Jello shots and howled at the horrible outfits. Sometime before midnight, we decided it'd be a great idea to progress (still tackily bedecked) to the bar to meet friends. After a brief stop at Code Blue (never again), we found ourselves at Tin Roof.

Let me tell you, there's nothing like wearing a chintzy mom sweater to meet people...we were high-fived and bought shots all night. Which caused the dance floor action to be incredible, but blurry.

Saturday, my dad came in town for a family friend's Bluegrass Pickin' Christmas Shindig. There was a bonfire, the wine flowed freely, and I met some truly interesting people. In the span of several hours, I made friends with a traveling Spanish teacher, a land conservationist, a Medieval reenactor and a lasso expert. And despite our obvious differences, we got along famously.

But the best part of the evening was--hands down--the music. The host of the party was apparently pretty well connected in "the industry" because I hung out with several members of Old Crow Medicine Show, who just showed up to "pick". It was incredible. I honestly could've sat happily by the fire and listened to them for hours...

Despite the long night, Sunday morning found me rounding up cattle on my aunt's farm in White Bluff. Where everything went smoothly until a steer ran me up a fence.

The important things I've taken away from this weekend:
  1. Just because I love animals, it doesn't always mean they'll love me back.
  2. I must learn to play the banjo (maybe one of my new OCMS buddies can help...)
  3. Unattractive people buy skanky lingerie too. Which they'll hopefully keep to themselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home