Monday, December 12, 2005

The Tenth Circle of Hell

I've done it. I've sucked it up and joined the (hated) gym. I can no longer deny the fact that it is absolutely too effing cold to run outside. The turning point being the day I decided to scrub our bathtub rather than exercise. I'm not a smoker, but running in 36 degrees sure as hell makes me feel like one.

I feel completely out of my element in the (hated) gym, like everybody there knows how to operate the machines better than I do. Case-in-point: my very first day there, I got on a futuristic-looking elliptical machine and immediately whacked myself in the forehead with the moving handles. While the portly man wearing workout goggles next to me giggled. I so badly wanted to say, "I don't think the fatty in sports-eyewear has much room to laugh!" If my head hadn't been throbbing and my face flaming, I would have.

But I've decided that I need to make the most of my gym membership and really whip myself into shape...by taking a spinning class. Now those people are hardcore. And I want to eventually be able to hang right there with them.

Even though the two times I've tentatively glanced into the room, half the people there look about 3 seconds away from cardiac arrest.

I'm hoping that in the next few weeks, I'll be peddling my heart out and handling the equipment like a pro. And maybe even laughing at some newbies. While preening in front of mirrors wearing sweat-soaked biker shorts.

Assuming that I don't die first.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

I guess I'm one of "those people" since I take spinning classes...but I do it at the Ys in town. I do it because it's a great way to excercise and it burns off a bunch of calories in a short amount of time....plus it's one of those--you work as hard as you want or need to. That said, I do not recommend going into it cold....give yourself a couple of weeks of getting used to using a stationary bike. Different excericse require different things of different muscle groups. I know I could probably swim longer and farther than a lot of people because that is my preferred form of exercise.....but if we were to do the runnign thing, I know many who would beat me hands down.

And I've never seen anyone at the Y in the goggles....I like the Y because it's a lot more mere mortals like myself.

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home