Friday, January 13, 2006

TGIF

I'm so glad the weekend is rapidly approaching. After three straight weeks of 4-day weeks, I feel like I'm working on a Saturday.

I'm so thankful that I've grown up and can go out and do fun things on Friday nights...and not have the highlight of the weekend literally be "TGIF". Back when I was rocking the DJ Tanner swoop bangs and loving Jordan Knight from NKOTB. Gah, the 90s had a thing for initials, huh? Must be like the 2000s have a thing for combining celebrity names. But I'm rambling...

Wednesday, Jennie and I held our first ever book club meeting. Since it was our first time, we chose A Million Little Pieces simply based on the wealth of information available on it right now. And it was a dang good book. Engrossing and (grossly) descriptive. Coincidently, James Frey was on Larry King that night to defend his book against accusations of false misrepresentation (wow, you can tell I date a law student).

Personally, I think this "scandal" is silly and people are getting into a big stink over nothing. Who cares if he embellished his criminal record? It does nothing to change the essential story line of the book. The man essentially overcame a horrible addiction with self-will and this is what people are focused on?

To all these whinny babies who feel "cheated" and want their money back: if the book kept you even slightly entertained while reading it, you need to shut your pie hole and find something else to complain about.

I called the Larry King live hotline for 20 minutes to try to say that on the air, but it was always busy. Some hooker from New York (and her obnoxious accent) beat me out.

The best part about book club, to me, is getting to hear different opinions. You all read the same book, yet each person experiences it differently, reads different things into it, relates it to her own life. You discover things you never once considered just by listening to someone else's experience. It's fascinating. Hopefully this will continue as a monthly tradition. Next up: Gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson.

And I officially have 8 more minutes of desk-sitting before the weekend commences. Mexican and margaritas with the girls tonight? Maybe a little dancing? I think so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home