Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Soapbox

Why is that people in the service industry seem to be getting increasingly rude? It never ceases to amaze me, based on their actions, how many still have jobs.

The other day, I was using the (amazing) self-checkout at Kroger when my machine froze on me. I took the last item out of my bag, mashed random buttons on the screen and even smacked the thing...to no avail. Frustrated, I went up to the "checkout station manager" to ask her to reset it. Which would have been the easiest request in the world had she not been having a heated discussion on her cell phone.

I stood there for about 30 seconds and she never acknowledged me, so I spoke up. Before I could get through "Excuse me, I have a little problem," she rolled her eyes, stuck her index finger in my face and kept talking. I was irate. So I kept right on explaining my machine problem. She finally figured I wasn't going to just go away, got off the phone and actually helped me. All the while acting like I was holding a gun to her head.

I just wasn't going to accept being treated like that, so I asked for her name and the name of her manager. She looked quite panicked, but I really didn't care. She should have thought of the consequences of her actions before she stuck her finger in my face.

The Kroger girl was MILD compared to a certain Oxford Walgreens employee who actually yelled at Moni and me for taking too long on the digital picture printing machine. To the point that her boss forced her to take a break and then gave us everything for free.

I completely understand that working in customer service SUCKS. I try to be sympathetic for those who are frazzled or just plain having a bad day. I know because I did my time in a drive-thru window (with a 250 pound woman who entertained herself by popping her glass eye in and out). I know ALL about how much it sucks.
'
Despite how much I wanted to scream and pitch fits on the floor (had it not been foul) during 10 hour shifts, I was never rude to the customers themselves. It wasn't their fault that I had a shitty teenage job. So I gritted my teeth and put a smile on my face.

As a result, I'm completely intolerant of rude employees. It's unacceptable and I'm determined to change it--person by person.

The next time you're forced to deal with a bitchy/"don't-have-time-for-you"/condescending employee...turn their ass in. Call their manager, write an email, fill out a comment card, WHATEVER. It's truly in that company's best interest that you do so.

Because of that one she-devil, I never returned to the Oxford Walgreens ever again. I switched my prescription to Walmart and started taking my pictures to Kroger.

She's just lucky I never saw her out and about town. I might have been forced to pull out her weave, snap off her 4-inch fake fingernails and shove them up her nose. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

The thing is, I've worked in customer service and one of the things you're supposed to learn early is that the customer couldn't give a fig about what you've got going on. Had a huge fight with your significant other? Yeah, that's nice but how does that affect helping the customer resolve their issue? Cause customers will by sympathetic but they really care most about you helping them resolve their issue.

So, even if you're having a bad day or woke up on the wrong side of the bed, you should be able to put aside that and still act in a professional manner. But a lot of people can't do that.

And I honestly think that Kroger should have a ban on employees using cell phones while working. Or any job where you interact directly with customers. Yes, if it was an emergency, I could understand. But to just chat...no. Sorry, that's not your job.

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home